Tips on how to prevent head lice:
- Know what you’re looking for; It is important to know the difference between nits and lice.
- Bugs and eggs tend to be grey-brown, while eggs are usually found ¼ inch away from you scalp. Bugs range in size from a grain of rice to a sesame seed.
- Using a good lice comb is the best defense against lice.
- Checking with a “Nit Free Terminator Comb” weekly is the best way to catch an infestation before it spreads.
- Always keep hair UP and away.
- Individuals with longer hair should always keep their hair in a bun, braid, or ponytail. This helps keep the hair from getting close to others or brushing against someone else.
- Use repellant sprays and/or shampoos & conditioners
- There are many different repellant options. We recommend that people use peppermint instead of tea tree or rosemary (although tea tree and rosemary can be effective in some form). Whichever scent you choose it’s always best to use a repellant. Using repellants is especially important any time children start/return to school from a break or vacation, or any time you receive a lice notice from your children’s school.
- Communication is the best way of keeping lice in control.
- Once you discover that your child has lice you should inform anyone that they have been in contact with. Not only will this alert others to check themselves, it will also protect your child from getting lice again. Head lice will continue to spread unless everyone is checked, so help stop the spread by encouraging your friends to get checked too.
- Schools and day care centers that practice regular head lice checks have less lice outbreaks.
What to do if you find head lice:
- Often times using a head lice treatment centers is the most effective way to treat head lice. With the use of pesticide free products, we provide a more efficient and safe form of eliminating head lice. Over the years, lice have transformed into “super bugs”, meaning they do not die with the chemical treatments sold over the counter. At Nits N Nats we specialize in the manual removal of head lice using all natural products. We have a 100% service guarantee (considering all treatments and follow-ups are completed for every family member).
Tips for at home treating:
- Have the right comb. We use and recommend “Lice Free Terminator Comb”.
- Use all natural products.
- Since lice have transformed themselves into “super bugs”, they have become resistant to chemical treatments, so there is no need to waste time or money using over the counter products. We have a line of all natural products that can help you get started. You can stop in and we can walk you through how to do the treatments at home and what the best products are for you.
- Start by combing from the bottom of your head and working your way up inch by inch. Comb each section until they are no visible lice. Use a white paper towel and wipe your comb after every few strokes. Combing in every direction is the most effective technique as nits are tricky to get out.
- Communicate with friends and family that your children may have been in contact within the last week.
- Continue combing once a day for 1-2 weeks, after the initial treatment.
- It is important to get everything out of the hair. If you miss just a few nits they will hatch and the life cycle begin again.
- Use lice free shampoo and mint spray for the 2 weeks following treatment. Keep long hair in braids or pony tails.
What to do in your house:
- The GOAL is to make sure that there are no living bugs in your house. After every member of the family is checked and/or treated, we suggest that you delouse the house. This should be done only once, no need to repeat every day. Since blood is their only food source, head lice do not like to live off the human head. Although, in the chance that a louse may have wandered off your scalp it is important to do the following:
- Washing all clothing that has been worn in the last 48 hours.
- Sheets, blankets, covers, towels, pillows, stuffed animals should be washed or put in the dryer for 30 minutes on high heat.
- Vacuum the mattress, wipe the side of the beds and furniture, vacuum the couches, sofas, and the floors.
- Anything that can not be washed, dried, or vacuumed place in plastic bags for at least 72 hours.
- Clean and disinfect all brushes and combs. You can boil them for 10 minutes or freeze each item for 24 hours.
- Vacuum the interior of cars and car seats.
Nits N Nats uses the best practices for lice and nit removal. We always offer same day appointments at our salon or at the privacy of your own home. We only use safe, nontoxic, effective products. Our services are 100% guaranteed!